Access to and use of the Library by individuals other than Liberty Fund directors and employees is subject to the following guidelines:
Research Readers include the following categories of individuals:
• Faculty Reader: a member of the faculty of a postsecondary educational institution.
• Graduate Reader: a student enrolled in a graduate-level course of study offered by a postsecondary educational institution.
• Undergraduate Reader: a student enrolled in an undergraduate-level course of study offered by a postsecondary educational institution.
• Independent Reader: an independent researcher not described in any of the preceding Research Reader categories.
An individual desiring access to the Library as a Research Reader may apply by submitting a request letter to:
Emilio J. Pacheco
President and CEO
Liberty Fund, Inc
11301 N. Meridian Street
Carmel, IN 46032
Such a request must identify the category of use sought by the applicant (Faculty Reader, Graduate Reader, etc.) and must include (i) a brief explanation of the applicant’s educational interests in the Library’s resources and (ii) the documentation set forth for in the applicable category below:
• Faculty Reader: proof of the applicant’s affiliation with his or her educational institution, e.g., a copy of an employment agreement or a letter from a department chair or dean evidencing the applicant’s employment.
• Graduate Reader: proof of the applicant’s enrollment at his or her educational institution, e.g., a transcript or a letter from the institution’s registrar evidencing the applicant’s active enrollment.
• Undergraduate Reader: (i) the same proof of enrollment as required for a Graduate Reader and (ii) a letter of reference from faculty at the applicant’s institution attesting to the applicant’s research interests and credentials.
• Independent Reader: two or more letters of reference, which may be from members of faculty or other leaders of educational institutions (including colleges, universities, or other educational institutions), attesting to the applicant’s research interests and credentials.
Liberty Fund may impose additional application requirements at any time and for any applicant, and the submission of an application does not guarantee that an applicant will be granted access.
If granted, access to the Library by a Research Reader is subject to the following conditions:
• A driver’s license, or other government-issued photo identification, must be presented to gain entry to the Library.
Resident Scholars are engaged by Liberty Fund as independent contractors to undertake specific research projects for the benefit of Liberty Fund. Access to and use of the Library by a Resident Scholar is governed by the contractual agreement executed by Liberty Fund and the Resident Scholar. Any such agreement may require the delivery of certain work product or services to Liberty Fund by the Resident Scholar and, in addition, will reflect the following terms and conditions of Library use by the Resident Scholar:
• Only open stacks in the Library are available for use.
• A research desk will be assigned and reserved for use for the duration of the Resident Scholar’s engagement by and residence at Liberty Fund.
• Up to 30 books may be checked out from the stacks, with the assistance of a librarian, and stored in the Resident Scholar’s assigned research desk.
• Up to five books at a time may be taken from the Library with the permission of a librarian.
• Access to the Library is coterminous with the duration of the Resident Scholar’s contractual engagement by Liberty Fund.
Letters of inquiry regarding potential engagement as Resident Scholars may be submitted to the President and CEO as referred above.